While the first step to test a new approach commonly is based on synthetic data, the final goal is inversion of field data. To make tests as realistic as possible, we maintain a collection of field data together with reference models inferred from these data. In the library we publish data-set descriptions along with contacts to researcher willing to share their data on request.
- Road Construction – Discrimination of soil classes Seismic refraction surveys with small source and receiver spacings in combination with a tomographic travel time inversion of first breaks will result into a p-wave field and enables the distinction between different soil classes.
- Open pit mining – Loosening zones along a transportation route With a tomographic travel time inversion of first breaks the p-wave velocity field of the underground was determined and indications for loosening zones and consolidated areas were found.
- Railroad embankment – Determination of elastic parameters A tomographic travel time inversion of both compressional and shear wave first breaks leads to the calculation of the desired elastic parameters.
- Bietigheim A data set recorded at Bietigheim with a 1D subsurface structure (a smooth non-linear increase of seismic velocities with depth).
- Berkheim This data set was recorded on a hard pitch with black top pavement chosen as an example for a model including a low-velocity-zone.
- Rheinstetten - Gliding airfield (Segelflugplatz) Layer (with a smooth increase of s wave velocity and a constant p wave velocity) overlying a halfspace; the discontinuity in seismic velocities is interpreted as the ground-water table.
- Wössingen-Lugenberg 1D model with four homogeneous layers.
- Riedheim (basaltic dyke) 2D subsurface structure; 2 layer over halfspace model including a basaltic dyke.
Reservoir Scale Seismics
- CO2 injection site at Ketzin / 3D baseline survey At the CO2 injection site at Ketzin a 3D baseline survey was carried out in 2005. The acquisition was performed on an area of about 14 square kilometres, subdivided into 41 templates. One template was set up by 5 geophone lines and twelve shotpoint lines.
- Traveltime tomography at the GFZ-Underground-Laboratory Tomographic traveltime inversions of the first breaks of p-waves and s-waves at the GFZ-Underground-Laboratory.