This data set is provided on request for reasearch purposes only. Please contact Thomas Forbriger.
Recording with linear profile on 1D structure
This data set was recorded at a site with a predominantly 1D subsurface structure. Approximate location of the site:
Approximately 15 m of loess, loam and gravel is overlying solid dolomite and limestone of the Upper Muschelkalk. Data was recorded with vertical geophones (10 Hz eigenfrequency). Both. a simple hammer blow and an explosive source ("Seismic Impulse Source System", S.I.S.Sy.) were used as a source. A joint inversion of wavefield expansion coefficients (including body waves and Rayleigh waves) and P-wave arrival times was applied to this data set (Forbriger, 2003a and b). Further, the full waveform of the field data was modeled from the final model and the force-time function of the source was derived (Forbriger, 2004). Forbriger (2001) gives a detailed description of the site.
Raw seismogram gather
A hammer blow was used for the recording of this exemplary shot gather.
Velocity model which results from the joint inversion
Recording with array configuration on 3D structure
At a second location near Bietigheim we recorded data in an array configuration. At this location the surface of the basement (Oberer Muschelkalk) has a clear and smooth topography as inferred by inversion of refracted P-wave travel time (Hecht, 2001). The depth of the discontinuity varies from 4m to 8m on a horizontal distance of 60m.
Drill logs and Cobra soundings are available for the recording sites and nearby locations (Hecht, 2001).
- Forbriger, T., 2001. Inversion flachseismischer Wellenfelder. Dissertation. Institut für Geophysik, Universität Stuttgart.
- Forbriger, T., 2003a. Inversion of shallow-seismic wavefields: I. Wavefield transformation. Geophys. J. Int., 153, 719-734.
- Forbriger, T., 2003b. Inversion of shallow-seismic wavefields: II. Inferring subsurface properties from wavefield transforms. Geophys. J. Int., 153, 735-752.
- Forbriger, T., 2004. Dynamics of the Hammer Blow. In: Symposium in Memoriam of Prof. Gerhard Müller, J. Schweitzer (ed.). Deutsche Geophysikalische Gesellschaft, ISSN-Nr. 0934-6554, I/2004, 93-97.
- Hecht, S. (2001): Anwendung refraktionsseismischer Methoden zur Erkundung des oberflächennahen Untergrundes. Stuttg. Geogr. Stud. 131. 165 S.